Women, Gender, Sexuality and the Law
JD x Graduate Certificate in Women, Gender, Sexuality and the Law
As a lawyer, you need to understand the needs and goals of your clients and the context for the legal work you are doing.
To provide you with the big picture in a specific area of expertise, Northeastern University School of Law offers a range of certificates that are interdisciplinary, bringing together the unique strengths of our law school and global university, and our leadership in experience-based education.
With a JD x Graduate Certificate in Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies, you’ll multiply the options open to you as a lawyer and develop real expertise.
If you are interested in the ways in which gender, sexuality and related categories of identity are shaped by culture and society, and how you can make a difference in this critical field, the Graduate Certificate in Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies (WGSS) will provide you with opportunities for:
- Analyzing contemporary feminist theoretical frameworks, methodologies, issues and topics and their relation to established disciplines
- Focusing on the intersection of gender with sexuality, race, class and other vectors of power and identity
- Broadening and enriching analytical skills in one or more disciplines while drawing on the interdisciplinary perspectives of WGSS
- Challenging the traditional separation of academic theory from political and professional practice
The Graduate Certificate in Women, Gender, Sexuality and the Law encompasses a wide range of courses, including courses in sexuality, reproductive rights, race and the law, queer theory, feminist resistance and more. Through courses, co-ops and writing a substantial paper, your studies will be grounded in the context of law and layered with laser-focused knowledge, professionally informed observations and unique insights, both from your law professors and from faculty and colleagues across our global university.
Gender and Development Economics
Gender and Social Policy
Human Rights in the United States
Queer Theory: Sexualities, Genders, Politics
Race and the Law
Reproductive and Sexual Rights and Health
Sexuality, Gender and the Law
Social Movements in Health
Sociology of Gender
Understanding the Pornographic and the Obscene
ACLU LGBT & HIV Project, New York, New York
ACLU Women’s Rights Project, New York, New York
ACLU Reproductive Freedom Project, New York, New York
GLAD Legal Advocates & Defenders, Boston, Massachusetts
Human Rights Campaign (various locations)
Legal Momentum, New York, York
National Center for Lesbian Rights, San Francisco, California
National Immigrant Women’s Advocacy Project (NIWAP), Washington, DC
NARAL Pro-Choice America, Chicago, Illinois
Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, Boston, Massachusetts
Additional Women, Gender, Sexuality and the Law Opportunities
- The Queer Caucus (QC) is an organization dedicated to supporting lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, gender non-conforming/non-binary, asexual, genderqueer, intersex, pansexual, and questioning students, staff, and faculty at NUSL.
- The Women’s Law Caucus (WLC) is a group at NUSL focused on creating a support system that empowers women in the legal profession. Men are also encouraged to join this group and are welcome at our meetings, events and discussions.
- If/When/How: Lawyering for Reproductive Justice at NUSL mobilizes law students to foster legal expertise and support for reproductive justice.