Assistant Professor of Law and Health Sciences
Harvard Law School, JD 2012
Professor Katherine (Katie) Kraschel, an expert on the intersection of reproduction, gender, bioethics and health policy, with a particular concentration on fertility care and reproductive technologies, holds an interdisciplinary appointment with the School of Law and Bouvé College of Health Sciences. Prior to joining the Northeastern faculty in 2023, she was a lecturer in law and the executive director of the Solomon Center for Health Law and Policy at Yale Law School, where she co-taught the Reproductive Rights and Justice Project Clinic.
Professor Kraschel’s research has appeared in prominent journals including the Journal of the American Medical Association; Harvard Journal of Law and Gender; American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology; and the Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics. She is the author of multiple book chapters on issues related to fertility care and assisted reproduction and is a co-editor (with Glenn Cohen, Abbe Gluck and Carmel Shachar) of COVID-19 and the Law: Disruption, Impact, and Legacy (Cambridge University Press, 2023).
Professor Kraschel has been covered by national media outlets including The New York Times, The Washington Post, TIME and National Public Radio. She is also chair of the board of Planned Parenthood of Southern New England. Previously, Professor Kraschel was associate counsel at Yale New Haven Health. She holds a bachelor’s degree in biochemistry from Mount Holyoke College and a law degree from Harvard Law School. In 2016, the National LGBT Bar Association named Professor Kraschel one of the Best LGBT Lawyers Under 40, and in 2018 she was named one of the Top 40 Lawyers Under 40 by the American Bar Association.
- “Developing a Triage Protocol for the COVID-19 Pandemic: Allocating Scarce Medical Resources in a Public Health Emergency,” 31(4) Journal of Clinical Ethics 1 (2020).
- “Treating Transparently: Legal Tools to Limit Harms to Patients from Conscience-Based Refusals,” AMA J Ethics. 2020;22(3):E209-216 (co-author).
- “Medical-Legal Partnership: Lessons from Five Diverse MLPs in New Haven, Connecticut,” The Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics, 46 (2018)
- “Trans-Cending Space in Women's Only Spaces: Title IX Cannot Be the Basis for Exclusion,” 35 Harvard Journal of Law and Gender 463 (2012).
- “Treatment of Heritable Diseases Using CRISPR: Hopes, Fears, and Reality,” Semin Perinatol. 2018 Dec;42(8):515-521.
- “CRISPR Diagnostics: Underappreciated Uses in Perinatology,” Semin Perinatol. 2018 Dec;42(8):525-530.
- “Scientists Near a Breakthrough That Could Revolutionize Human Reproduction,” NPR (May 25, 2023).
- “Katherine Kraschel Appointed Chair of the Board of Planned Parenthood of Southern New England,” Northeastern Law News Announcement (May 23, 2023).