Health Law and Policy
JD x Graduate Certificate in Health Law and Policy
As a lawyer, you need to understand the needs and goals of your clients and the context for the legal work you are doing.
To provide you with the big picture in a specific area of expertise, Northeastern University School of Law offers a range of certificates that are interdisciplinary, bringing together the unique strengths of our law school and global university, and our leadership in experience-based education.
With a JD x Graduate Certificate in Health Law and Policy, you’ll multiply the options open to you as a lawyer and develop real expertise.
If your goal is to work in a public health, health care, or health policy setting, you’ll need to master the nuances of health law and policy. By weaving health-related courses into your legal studies, you’ll be prepared for success in health-related careers in the nonprofit, public or private sectors.
The interdisciplinary Graduate Certificate in Health Law and Policy encompasses a wide range of courses, including courses in public policy, sociology, public health and health management. Through courses, co-ops, clinics and writing a substantial paper, your studies will be grounded in the context of law and layered with laser-focused knowledge, industry-informed observations and unique insights, both from your law professors and from faculty and colleagues across our global university.
Whether you are interested in social movements in health care, health information technology or another field in the health sector, the Graduate Certificate in Health Law and Policy offers an opportunity to deepen your knowledge and develop expertise so that you can jump right into a rewarding career in a health-related field.
Bioethics and the Law
Current Issues in Health Law and Policy
Drug Law and Policy
Economic Perspectives on Health Policy
Health Policy and Politics
Healthcare Fraud and Abuse Law
Health Organization Management
Management Issues in Healthcare Information Technology
Project Management in Public Health
Race, Ethnicity and Health in the United States
Social Movements in Health
Strategic Management and Leadership in Healthcare
Theoretical Foundations in Personal Health Informatics
Public Health Legal Clinic
Domestic Violence Clinic
Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Boston, Massachusetts
Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Cambridge, Massachusets
Boston Public Health Commission, Boston, Massachusetts
Buoy Health, Inc., Boston, Massachusetts
Cambridge and Somerville Legal Services, Elder Law & Mental Health Rights, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Children’s Hospital Corporation, Boston, Massachusetts
Commonwealth of Mass. House of Representatives, Joint Committee on Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts
CRICO/RMF, Boston, Massachusetts
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Brookline, Massachusetts
Disability Law Center, Boston, Massachusetts
East Bay Community Law Center, Health Practice, Berkeley, California
Fresenius Medical Care North America, Waltham, Massachusetts
FXB Center for Health and Human Rights, Boston, Massachusetts
Georgetown Law Center, O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law, Washington, DC
Greater Boston Legal Services, Boston, Massachusetts
Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Quincy, Massachusetts
Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Institute, Boston, Massachusetts
Health in Justice Action Lab, Boston, Massachusetts
Mass General Brigham, Boston, Massachusetts
Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office, Health Care Division, Boston, Massachusetts
Massachusetts Department of Mental Health, Office of the General Counsel, Westborough, Massachusetts
Massachusetts Department of Public Health, Divisin of Health Professions Licensure, Boston, Massachusetts
Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services, Boston, Massachusetts
Massachusetts General Hospital, Center for Law Brain and Behavior, Boston, Massachusetts
Massachusetts Medical Society, Waltham, Massachusetts
Mental Health Legal Advisors Committee, Boston, Massachusetts
New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation, New York, New York
New York University, Langone Health, Office of General Counsel, New York, New York
Physicians for Human Rights, New York, New York
Prisma Health, Greenville, South Carolina
Public Health Advocacy Institute, Boston, Massachusetts
Rady Children's Hospital and Health Center, San Diego, California
UMass Medical School, Commonwealth Medicine, Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
UMass Memorial Health Care, Inc., General Counsel, Worcester, Massachusetts
US Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), Rockville, Maryland
Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Boston, Massachusetts
Additional Health Law Opportunities
The School of Law is a national leader in education, research and service initiatives addressing the most pressing challenges facing society.
- The Center for Health Policy and Law provides a rich context for students and researchers interested in public health law, health and human rights, health governance, health care financing, drug law, intellectual property, bioethics, health care delivery law and the regulation of our health care systems.
- The Public Health Advocacy Institute is renowned for its leadership and commitment to research and advocacy in public health law, to public health policy development, to legal technical assistance and to collaborative work at the intersection of law and public health.
- The Health in Justice Action Lab is guided by a vision of a healthier, more just society, and advances criminal justice reform through a public health lens. Engaging with academic, community, public and private partners, it informs responses to today’s most critical community challenges.
- The Health Law Society (HLS) is a student group committed to raising the visibility of health law at Northeastern and our broader community, with a particular emphasis on traditional public health concerns.
- The Drug Law and Policy Society (DLPS) is dedicated to studying and taking action on issues related to drug policy, including pharmaceutical regulation and drug enforcement.